Thursday, August 6, 2009

Landing: Check.

I had a GREAT lesson this morning! We did nine landings, eight of which were completely unassisted, and they were all pretty fantastic. In the one that was assisted, I came in too high and attempted a "slip" to lose altitude*. I screwed up the slip maneuver, ended up off track, and my instructor had to help me out with some right rudder.

We also tried one landing with no flaps, just to see what it felt like. The result of that was we landed at 90 miles-per-hour instead of 80 and rolled down the runway about twice the distance we usually do.

I now have "landing" checked off on my pre-solo checklist. I believe the only things I have left to do are slow flight and emergency procedures, and then I'm going solo. Wish me luck!


* A slip is when I bank the airplane to one side, as if I was going to turn, but I use full, opposite rudder input to keep the plane on the same track. The result is that the nose stays pointed toward the runway, but one wing will be lower than the other, and the resulting drag from the full rudder deflection slows the airplane down considerably.

1 comment:

  1. I miss forward slips to a landing ... allows for burning off altitude (or speed in the case of an electrical failure knocking out your flaps). Sadly, flying Mooneys uncooridinated and close to the ground is a great way to die... Glad to hear things are going well!

    ReplyDelete