Thursday, July 30, 2009

All By Myself

Yesterday marks the second lesson I've had to cancel due to poor weather (low overcast clouds).

It wasn't a total bust, though. I spent an hour on the ground with my instructor going over the pre-solo written test. I am very close to flying my first solo flight! As might be expected, I am equal parts excited and nervous about this. I feel ready. I've memorized my checklists. My last few flights have gone very well, but I still need more landing practice.

The competitive part of me wants to know the average time to solo and how I compare to it. My goal is to solo at or before ten hours (i'm at 7.6 now). Another student at my flight school recently went solo at seven hours, and I was secretly hoping to beat that, but that's okay.

After my solo, the next thing I'll be working on is my first cross-country flight, followed by a solo cross-country (in aviation terms, "cross-country" is a flight that is further than 50 nautical miles, not literally across the country). I am very excited for this, because it means flight planning and geeking out with maps! It also means flying into new airports. Not that Santa Monica and Van Nuys aren't great places to fly; I just think I would enjoy a change in scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment