Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Beginning

So I've decided to get a pilot's license. This means that for the next however-long-it-takes (my goal is 6-7 months), I'll be flying three times a week, studying a lot and daydreaming about the freedom I'll have when it's all done.

For each lesson, I rent an airplane for about an hour. My flight school, located at Santa Monica airport (SMO) in Southern California, owns Piper Cherokees, which are four-seat, single-engine airplanes. I sit in the left seat and an instructor sits in the right. In an airplane, just like most cars, the left seat is the driver's seat, although unlike a car, an airplane has controls on both sides.

Flying lessons are very hands-on. I fly the airplane the whole time; the instructor only jumps in occasionally to demonstrate things. If you're surprised by that, let me tell you a big secret about airplanes: they are extremely forgiving, possibly even more so than your car. They are designed to fly, and they do it well, despite clumsy control inputs by newbie students. It is very difficult to get into real trouble.

After 40 hours of flying time, the FAA says I'm eligible to become a pilot (hence the name of the blog). Realistically, it will probably take closer to 65 hours (there's a lot to learn!). As soon as my instructor thinks I'm ready, I get to take a really long written test, followed later by a "checkride" with an FAA examiner. If I pass, then I will be a pilot! I will be allowed to fly single-engine airplanes, in clear weather, day or night.

Why am I doing this? Besides the fact that it's super fun? There are a lot of good reasons. First, being the nerd that I am, I am drawn to any hobby that involves complicated machinery. Second, I love a challenge. Especially one that has such huge rewards at the end.

You know how much fun road trips are? Plane trips are like those, but better. For example: Vegas in two hours. San Diego in 60 minutes. Random little towns all over Southern California, Nevada and Arizona: here I come!

I've been talking for years about learning to fly, and now I am excited to say that I am actually doing it. If you'd like to follow along, that's what this blog is for! Welcome, and thanks for your support.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Josh,

    Nice picture it makes you look like Bill Gates at the bank....lol
    I'm so happy that you are happy! And doing the things in life that you enjoy to do. That's the way to go.

    Since you are flying so high these days maybe you could be my personal pilot!

    Keep up The Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Josh! We'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. off to vegas for some hoesssss

    ReplyDelete
  4. And WHY didn't you have a pilot's license a few months ago? To think, we could've been to L.A. in 10 minutes! And Vegas. . . San Francisco. . . Seattle. . . SIGH. Oh and, much congratulations on your continued success and enjoyment of life! Enjoy your freedom. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't express how excited I am for you. Getting a pilot's license is a life changing event. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone! I will be writing more as things progress, so stay tuned. Chip, you should know that you are partially responsible for this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete