Thursday, August 13, 2009

Weather

As I write this, I am staring at two new endorsements in my log book: certification of pre-solo flight training and pre-solo aeronautical knowledge.

This means that at 13.2 hours and 50 take-offs and landings, I am now signed off to take the plane up by myself! I haven't done this yet, though, due to weather.

The past week or so, Santa Monica has been experiencing a very annoying, persistent marine layer. We're used to low clouds and fog in the mornings, but lately these conditions have been lasting all day, which means no flying for me.

Obviously clouds are no factor for commercial airliners, so you might wonder why they are such a big deal for me. The answer is that all of my training flights are done under "visual flight rules." Visual flight rules (VFR) means that it is my job to "see and avoid" other aircraft. Air traffic control will help when they can, but ultimately it is up to me. If I am flying through a cloud, I am blind, and that is bad.

Later on, after I get my pilot's license and have at least 50 hours of experience, I can get an "instrument rating" that allows me to fly in the clouds under certain conditions. Yes, I do plan to get this. But until then, I'll be staying at least 500' below, 1,000' above, and 2,000' horizontally away from any clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment