Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It all comes down to this

Today is November 17th, 2009. It's been three years since the first time I sat in the left seat of an airplane cockpit, five months since I started training in earnest, 63 total hours flown (11 solo) and 153 landings. All leading up to the culminating event this Saturday: my checkride.

That was probably too dramatic. I'm psyching myself up for this but I really should just relax. The checkride is just like another lesson. I'll preflight the plane, like I always do. I'll take off, fly around and perform the same maneuvers I've performed dozens of times already. Then I'll land the plane and shut it down, same as always.

Except this time I'll be flying with someone who has the power to grant me a pilot certificate. No big deal!

On the morning of the checkride, I will present a cross-country flight plan that I am now preparing. We will talk about the flight plan and he will ask me a bunch of questions about airplanes and other things I should know about.

After that, we'll get in the airplane and go flying. Initially we will follow my preplanned flight, but as soon as the examiner is satisfied that I know how to navigate, he will have me perform maneuvers instead, like slow flight, stalls, steep turns, etc. He will pick an airport at random and I will need to fly there after making a decent estimate about how long it will take and how much fuel I will burn along the way. And at some point he will simulate an engine failure and make sure I know how to deal with that.

After this weekend, I'll write about how it went. Until then, I've got some flight planning to do!

2 comments:

  1. You're prepared for sure. You can always retake. You can't make sure it happens correctly ahead of time so just forget about it and stay in the moment when the time comes. You always have so much fun with flying. Hope it's good weather for you.
    Love you bunches!

    Mom xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of . . . weather! I don't believe you need any luck! Like you said, same as any other flight you've done (just take your time when that's possible so as not to nervously rush). Maybe your positive energy of excitement and joy at the thought of earning your license will keep the other kind of nerves at bay. You are a good writer, Josh and I do believe a good "flyer" as well! Pilot Hinman, start your aircraft engine(s?)! ;) :)

    ReplyDelete